1. Home
  2. Farm Animals
  3. Who do I contact to report an animal welfare issue with farm animals?

Who do I contact to report an animal welfare issue with farm animals?

RSPCA Inspectors employed by RSPCA ACT, RSPCA New South Wales, RSPCA South Australia, RSPCA Tasmania and RSPCA Western Australia have legal jurisdiction over commercial farming activities in relation to animal welfare legislation within their respective states. These RSPCA Inspectors will also work in conjunction with officers of the relevant government department, usually livestock and/or animal health inspectors. So, in these states, contact the RSPCA.

RSPCA ACT0407 078 221Report online
RSPCA NSW1300 CRUELTY (1300 278 358)Report online
RSPCA SA1300 4 RSPCA (1300 477 722)Report online
RSPCA TAS1300 139 947Report online
RSPCA WA1300 CRUELTY (1300 278 3589)Report online

RSPCA Queensland and RSPCA Victoria have a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with their state governments, which limit the jurisdiction of RSPCA Inspectors with respect to ‘commercial livestock’. In Queensland, the RSPCA focus their work on hobby farms and companion animals on the eastern seaboard and they do not usually investigate commercial farming-related matters, although they may assist Biosecurity Queensland. In Victoria, the RSPCA also focuses its attention on companion animals and non-commercial livestock (e.g. horses and hobby farm animals). Where groups of livestock are in numbers greater than 10 (or poultry in numbers greater than 50), livestock matters are referred to Agriculture Victoria for investigation. So, in these states, contact the QLD or VIC department of agriculture as relevant.

Biosecurity Queensland (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries)
T: 13 25 23
W: https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industries/farms-fishing-forestry/agriculture/livestock/animal-welfare/complaints

Report Victorian animal cruelty to:
Agriculture Victoria
T: 136 186
E: aw.complaint@agriculture.vic.gov.au
W: https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/livestock-and-animals/livestock-health-and-welfare/report-animal-cruelty
Note: the telephone number above is for the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. However, the department that RSPCA Victoria has a MOU with and who is responsible in investigating agricultural animal cruelty is the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions.

RSPCA Darwin does not have an Inspectorate so, in the Northern Territory, contact the Department of Primary Industry and Resources.

Northern Territory Government Department of Primary Industry and Resources
T: 1300 720 386
E: animalwelfare@nt.gov.au
W: https://nt.gov.au/environment/animals/report-animal-cruelty-or-neglect

Also Read

Updated on January 25, 2023
  • Home
  • Farm Animals

Was this article helpful?