The most important thing you can do to encourage animal welfare-friendly production systems is to avoid buying foods that have been produced using inhumane practices such as the use of battery cages (for egg production) and sow stalls (for pork production). Instead, be careful to choose food products that are welfare friendly, such as RSPCA Approved pork, eggs, chicken and turkey.
To learn more about the RSPCA Approved Farming Scheme visit our website.
To learn more about humane farming and shopping for humane food visit Choose Wisely.
Farmers and supermarkets will respond to the demands of consumers if enough people make the switch to welfare-friendly foods. As the demand for welfare-friendly products increases, producers will have a greater incentive to adopt humane farming practices, and the price of the welfare-friendly alternatives will come down.
Some other useful actions you could take are:
- writing to the Australian Government minister for agriculture, your state or territory agriculture (or primary industries) minister, your local MP or the newspapers, expressing your opposition to cruel farming practices
- expressing your views to your local supermarket and asking them to stock welfare-friendly products
- contributing to RSPCA campaigns such as Choose Wisely which promotes animal-welfare friendly food.
- sending an e-card from the RSPCA website to friends and family to raise awareness about the issues
- supporting the work of the RSPCA by buying RSPCA merchandise and donating to the RSPCA
- supporting the work of other animal welfare organisations, in Australia and overseas, that are working to change farming practices that cause suffering to animals.