Some of the ways you can act to help improve livestock farming practices for better animal welfare:
- learning more about livestock farming practices so that you have the facts right before you act
- writing to the Australian Government minister for agriculture, your state or territory agriculture (or primary industries) minister, your local MP or the newspapers, expressing your opposition to cruel farming practices
- choosing products farmed to higher welfare standards, such as RSPCA Approved poultry, pork, eggs and salmon. Supporting farming practices that prioritise animal welfare, will help make a positive difference to the way farm animals are treated
- expressing your views to your local supermarket and asking them to stock products farmed to higher welfare standards
- contributing to RSPCA campaigns (for example, signing petitions and writing letters)
- sending an e-card from the RSPCA website to friends and family to raise awareness about the issue
- supporting the work of the RSPCA by buying RSPCA merchandise and donating to the RSPCA
- supporting the work of other animal welfare organisations, in Australia and overseas, that are working to change farming practices that cause suffering to animals.
- using the Choose Wisely directory to find eating spots near you that source cage-free eggs. If your favourite eatery isn’t listed, why not encourage them to join?
Through the RSPCA Approved Farming Scheme the RSPCA works closely with farmers committed to raising animals to higher welfare standards. Find out more about the RSPCA’s standards and RSPCA Approved products by visiting rspcaapproved.org.au.
Choose Wisely is the RSPCA’s initiative encouraging and supporting cafes and restaurants to source products from higher welfare farming systems, such as cage-free eggs.
The RSPCA’s Responsible Sourcing information includes guidance on developing an animal welfare policy, procurement goals and species-specific information about production processes and how to analyse a business’ supply chain.