1. Home
  2. Sport, Entertainment and Work
  3. Recreational Horses
  4. Caring for your Horse
  5. Who do I contact to report an animal welfare issue with domesticated horses?

Who do I contact to report an animal welfare issue with domesticated horses?

RSPCA Inspectors employed by RSPCA ACT, RSPCA New South Wales, RSPCA Victoria, RSPCA South Australia, RSPCA Tasmania, RSPCA Queensland and RSPCA Western Australia have legal jurisdiction over horses in relation to animal welfare legislation within their respective states. RSPCA Inspectors work in conjunction with officers of the relevant government department, particularly for race horses. So, contact the RSPCA.

RSPCA ACT0407 078 221Report online
RSPCA NSW1300 CRUELTYReport online
RSPCA VIC03 9224 2222Report online
RSPCA SA1300 4 RSPCA (1300 477 722)Report online
RSPCA TAS1300 139 947Report online
RSPCA WA1300 CRUELTY (1300 278 3589)Report online
RSPCA Qld1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625)Report online

RSPCA Queensland have a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with their State Government, which outlines the jurisdiction of RSPCA Inspectors with respect to horses. In Queensland, the RSPCA is responsible for riding schools and complaints relating to 10 or fewer horses within their geographical jurisdiction. Animals used in the racing industry are the responsibility of the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission.

Queensland Racing Integrity Commission
T: 1300 087 021
W: https://www.qric.qld.gov.au

RSPCA Darwin does not have an Inspectorate so, in the Northern Territory, contact the Department of Primary Industry and Resources.

Northern Territory Government
Department of Primary Industry and Resources
T: 1300 720 386
E: animalwelfare@nt.gov.au
W: https://nt.gov.au/environment/animals/report-animal-cruelty-or-neglect

Also Read

Updated on March 18, 2019
  • Home
  • Sport, Entertainment and Work
  • Recreational Horses
  • Caring for your Horse

Was this article helpful?