Search: Advanced search
Please enter a keyword or ID
What size cage does my pet bird need?
While a cage can provide a safe refuge and home environment for pet birds, most cages are too small to allow birds to fly freely and can severely restrict the bird’s ability to exercise and express its normal behaviour. For this reason, where birds are permanently confined in a cage they should have access to a flight aviary or be given regular opportunities to fly in a safe environment outside their cage (such as indoors).
The following guidelines will help you to work out the minimum size of the home cage environment you should have for your pet birds:
1. The minimum width of a cage for a pair of birds should be three times their combined wing span.
2. The minimum length of a cage should permit at least 2 wing beats (the more the better) between perches. Perches should be placed far enough from the ends of the cage to allow the birds to turn around on the perches without scraping their tail feathers against the cage.
3. The minimum height of a cage should be three times the length from head to tip of tail of the largest bird to be confined in it, and should be increased accordingly if more than one pair or more than one species is kept in the cage.
4. The cage should be constructed or positioned such that at least one perch is at standing shoulder height (for the sense of security of the birds).
5. The cage should provide room for the bird to fly between perches in an approximately horizontal plane.
6. There should be sufficient room for the bird to fully extend its wings and to fly without damaging wings or feathers on the walls or ceiling of the cage.
This website provides general information which must not be relied upon or regarded as a substitute for specific professional advice, including veterinary advice. We make no warranties that the website is accurate or suitable for a person's unique circumstances and provide the website on the basis that all persons accessing the website responsibly assess the relevance and accuracy of its content.