If you’re looking for a new dog or cat, check your local RSPCA or other reputable animal welfare or rescue organisations first. There are many wonderful puppies/dogs and kittens/cats out there looking for new homes. But if you can’t find the right dog or cat for you over time, you’ll need to find a good breeder.
Follow our online RSPCA Smart Puppy and Dogs Buyer’s Guide or Smart Kitten and Cat Buyer’s Guide (see below) and you’ll be on the right track to taking home a healthy, well-adjusted puppy or kitten and helping to prevent the sale of pets from puppy/kitten farms or irresponsible breeders.
It’s very important to visit the puppy/kitten in the place where it was born and meet the mother (and father too, if he’s around) to check they’re happy and healthy and that the breeder is providing a high standard of care and good living conditions for their animals.
Healthy puppies/kittens come from breeders who:
- Plan ahead and aim to find good homes for every puppy/kitten they breed
- Provide a high standard of care and living conditions for all their animals
- Are genuinely concerned about the welfare of their animals
- Are open to questions and provide a complete history of the puppy/kitten
- Make sure that you will suit the puppy/kitten and the puppy/kitten will suit you
- Breed to produce happy, healthy pets, free from known genetic disorders
- Provide ongoing support and information to new owners
- Provide a guarantee
- Provide references on request
- Meet all their legal requirements
You can download a pamphlet version of the Smart Puppy and Dogs Buyer’s Guide or Smart Kitten and Cat Buyer’s Guide from the link below. It’s essential reading for all prospective puppy/kitten buyers.