←Go back to RSPCA

RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

RSPCA Australia Knowledgebase

Search:     Advanced search

Why is chocolate toxic to dogs and other pets?

Article ID: 476
Last updated: 21 Mar, 2016
Revision: 3
print  Print
share  Share
Views: 181512

Chocolate contains cocoa and cocoa contains the compound theobromine. Theobromine is toxic to dogs and other pets at certain doses. Chocolate poisoning is a problem that occurs mainly in dogs but also occurs occasionally in cats or other animals. It is important not to give your pets any chocolate and to ensure they cannot accidentally access any of your chocolate supplies, especially over Easter!

The concentration of theobromine varies depending on the type of chocolate. For example, cocoa powder, baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain higher levels of theobromine compared to milk chocolate.

The toxicity of theobromine is dose-related, meaning that the overall effect of chocolate ingestion on the dog depends on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate eaten and the type of chocolate eaten.

The symptoms of theobromine ingestion may include restlessness, excitement, hyperactivity, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased drinking and increased urination, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and possibly death.

If your dog or pet has ingested chocolate (even a small amount) you should contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible for advice.

Vets can usually treat chocolate poisoning by inducing vomiting and with supportive therapy in hospital but it is important to seek veterinary attention quickly.

This article was:  


Also listed in
folder Companion animals -> Dogs -> Basic care and dog health
folder Companion animals -> Dogs -> Feeding
folder Companion animals -> Cats -> Feeding
folder Companion animals -> House and garden dangers

Prev     Next
Why are lilies extremely toxic to cats?       Desexing